The Texas Rangers

The Texas Rangers Hall of Fame is located in Waco, TexasThe Texas Rangers originated in the 1820/s as a volunteer corps to prevent Native American Indian attacks. Later the Rangers became lawmen; their exploits have become legendary. In 1835, the year before the Republic of Texas was born, the rangers became an official, full-time corps that was paid to defend the frontier.

The United States annexed Texas in 1845 and protection of the frontier became a federal responsibility; the rangers then reverted to a volunteer, militia-type organization. Under John Coffee (Jack) Hays, they fought in federal service during the Mexican War, winning national attention for their skill and bravery. Reorganized in 1874, the rangers--with the gradual end of the Indian wars--became a statewide law-enforcement agency responsible for suppressing feuds and riots, controlling cattle thefts, and capturing train robbers. Since 1935 they have operated as a branch of the Texas Department of Public Safety.


The Texas Rangers Hall of Fame-

Located in Waco, Texas this museum chronicles the famed lawmen who tamed the wild frontier. Features a replica of the original Texas Ranger Fort which was established in 1837. Today this facility is the present headquarters for the modern day Company F. Texas Rangers.


Coolidge, Dane, Fighting Men of the West (1932; repr. 1968); Durham, George, Taming the Nueces Strip: The Story of McNelly's Rangers (1962); Gillett, James B., Six Years with the Texas Rangers, 1875 to 1881 (1976); Webb, Walter P., Texas Rangers, rev. ed. (1965)



Back to the top