Known as the "Birthplace of Anglo-American Settlement in Texas" (near present
day Houston), San Felipe de Austin was named for Stephen F. Austin, who brought his first
Texas colonists here in 1823. This historic settlement was home for Texas' first
English language newspaper (the "Gazette", 1829), origin of the Texas postal
system and saw the beginning of the legendary Texas Rangers. San Felipe served as
the location for the Conventions of 1832 and 1833, and the Consultation of 1835 - meetings
that led to the Texas Declaration of Independence. In 1836 Santa Anna's invading
Mexican army burned the town and occupied the site. San Felipe was restored after
the War for Independence and Texas victory in the at San Jacinto. The Stephen F.
Austin Park Association operates an information center at the San Felipe Post Office.
Stephen F. Austin State Park -
664 acre park is in two sections, historical and recreational. The
historical section is near an old ferry crossing of the Brazos River. This area
includes a replica of Austin's dog-run cabin where he conducted business of the first
colonists. Dominating many monuments and historical markers is a magnificent statue
of Stephen F. Austin, "The Father of Texas". The J.J. Josey Store, built
in 1847, has been restored and is now a museum displaying merchandise of the pioneer era.
(Open Saturday & Sunday; admission fee.)
Recreational portion of the park offers picnic, camping and trailer sites. Also, the
park features a group recreational hall with kitchen facilities, screened shelters
available for use, golf course and dining hall. Nature trail and fishing in the
Just north of San Felipe on Park Road 38. Admission.