Seat of Jim Wells County. Founded 1888 as depot on the San Antonio & Aransas Pass
Railway, first called Bandana (the source of the "Fiesta Bandana" Festival still
celebrated yearly). It was renamed Kleberq, only to be later renamed again after a
daughter of one of the founders of the famed King Ranch. Town is dividing point between
brush country to the west and coastal plains to the east; also between the border region
and rest of Texas. It was discovered in 1930's, and town became hub of petroleum business
while maintaining traditional farming and livestock industries. Beefmaster cattle breed
was developed here.
Town's life style is outdoor oriented. Ten city parks offer sports
fields, tennis courts, swimming pools and 18 hole municipal golf course. Outdoor band
concerts on summer evenings. Hunters seek white-tailed deer, javelina, wild turkey, quail,
Alice and Corpus Christi.
South Texas Museum -
Small museum focuses on distinctive history and traditions of this South Texas region.
Exhibits trace habitation from American Indian to 20th Century farm, ranch, railroad, ,and
oil activities, with emphasis on pioneer ranch and household artifacts. Includes mounted
wildlife and livestock specimens. Open Tues. - Fri., 1 - 5 p.m., Sat. 10 am - 2 p.m.; at
66 S. Wright St. (512)668-8891.