Origin of the name is uncertain. Anahuac could be derived pre-Aztec Nawatlan tribes, or
developed from a word of later Native American derivation. The first permanent settlement
in this place is considered to have been in 1821, when the port of entry, previously
established by the Spanish occupants as a fortress, was made open to American colonists.
Today Anahuac is the seat of Chambers County, which remains oriented to an agrarian
economy serving rice, cattle, gulf fishing and oil producing interests.
Named Alligator Capital of Texas in 1989 by the Texas Legislature,
Anahuac boasts more alligators than people. Also home of the Gatorfest, an alligator hunt
staged two days each September September in Fort Anahuac Park during alligator hunting
National Wildlife Refuge -
More than 40 species of birds
nest in this refuge of over 9,900 acres on East Bay, about 18 miles southeast of town.
Managed primarily for wintering and migrating water- fowl, the threatened American
Alligator is also found. Bird checklist has 253 species listed - extra large number
because birds flying north across Gulf of Mexico eager for first resting place on land.
Refuge activities include wildlife observation, birding, photography, waterfowl hunting,
fishing, and crabbing. Overnight camping limited, both in duration and location. Contact
refuge headquarters for directions or information. (409)267-3337 or write P.O. Box 278,
Anahuac, TX 77514.
Anahuac Wildlife Headquarters also supervises McFaddin and Texas
Point National Wildlife Refuges east along coast.
Also, for more information on birds of the upper Texas coast, check
out this link at:
Chambers County Museum -
General history; exhibits of local and pioneer history, archeology.
Open Mon. - Fri. 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.; Courthouse Annex.
Fort Anahuac and Fort Anahuac Park -
some traces remain of fort Anahuac, combination Mexican fort and
customhouse on Galveston Bay near mouth of Trinity river, built about 1831 by prisoners of
Mexican government. In one of preliminary battles of Texas Revolution, fort was captured
by William B. Travis, later commander of the Alamo. Park offers picnicking, camping, rest
rooms, boat ramps. 5 main St., on Trinity Bay.