Historic seat of grimes County, established 1834 on La
Bahia road, centuries-old Indian trail that stretched
from Louisiana through Texas. Route had been used by
Spanish explorers, later became important as cattle
trail, the Opelousas road. During the Civil War , local
arms factory produced cannon, cannon balls, rifle
pistols, swords, and gunpowder. Today commercial center ,
for rich agricultural area, contains many historic
structures including Victorian 1891 courthouse, open
Fanthorp Inn Historic
Established during The Republic of
Texas era, seven rooms and a barn portray early Texas
inns hosting travelers arriving by stagecoach. early
records report visits by Texas Presidents Sam
Houston and Anson
Jones; Jefferson Davis, who became President of the
Confederacy; future United States Presidents Zachary
Taylor and Ulysses S. Grant, and Generals Robert E. Lee
and Stonewall Jackson. Open for tours Wed. - Sun. 9 a.m.
- noon, 1- 4 p.m. On Main Street, south of courthouse.
Houston National Forest -
Nearest entrance about 13 miles
east on F.M. 149.