Established in 1880 with the building of the Texas and
Pacific Railroad. A roundhouse, repair shops, and switches marked a railroad division
pointnamed for Matthew Baird, railroad director who drove the first stake on the T&P
RR in 1875. Today, its the seat of Callahan County and commercial center for farming
and livestock area
Many antique and specialty shops in restored
turn-of-the-century buildings downtown make the city officially recognized as the Antique
Capital of West Texas by the Texas Legislature in 1993.
The Old Rock Jail at 100 W. 5th St. was moved from the
former county seat, Belle Plain. Each block was numbered and the jail was rebuilt
exactly as it had been. It's used as a Boy Scout meeting place today.
Be sure to stop by Grumpe's candy factory, one of only four
candy factories producing lollipops for business advertising in the U.S., and one of only
two that puts messages on both the stick and the candy. At 206 Market St.
In season, hunters take wild turkey, deer, quail, dove, and
wild hog. For information on area leases, attractions, and special events, inquire
at the chamber of commerce located in T&P Depot that houses the Railroad Heritage
Museum (915) 854-2003.
Callahan County Pioneer Museum-
Pioneer farm and ranch implements, household items, clothing, barbed
wire, and documents. In basement of Callahan County Courthouse, Market & Fourth
St. Open Mon. - Fri. 1 - 5 p.m (915) 854-1718.
Railroad Heritage Museum-
Railroad memorabilia, photographs, and books in histori 1911 depot.
Open Mon. - Fri. 8 a.m.- noon, 1 - 4 p.m. 100 Market St.