Centered in renowned Blackland
Prairie agricultural region. Named for John T. Bartlett,
who donated townsite to Missouri, Kansas, and Texas
Railroad. In 1878, community had three residences.
Divided by Bell and Williamson county lines. History has
it enterprising saloon proprietors took advantage of
county line dissecting their business by having bar on
wheels to accommodate laws in both counties.
listed on National Register of
Historic Places, is two-block area of early 20th Century
buildings housing quality arts and crafts, and fine
antiques. Streets paved in red brick link predominant red
masonry contruction. Replica street lamps, and corner
benches with flower pots add to turn-of-the-century
Bartlett Area Museum
Formerly housed in city's first municipal light plant, the museum was moved to the Bartlett Activities Center in the 1990s. In 1936, Bartlett was first in nation to extend municipal light service to 15- to 20-mile radius outside of city under Rural Electrification Administration loan program (predominant force in providing electricity to rural America). The old Museum houses original Fairbanks- Morse diesel electric generatorsand is open daily for self-guided tours, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. The BAC Museum is located at 300 West Bell Street, the old grammer school building , and houses exhibits, antiques and artifacts from town's early history. It is open the first Sun. of each month, 1 - 4 p.m. No admission. Five blocks west of Texas 95.