On divide between South
Wichita and Brazos Rivers, city was established in 1884
when 12 houses were built with lumber hauled from Wichita
Falls. Early center of cattlemen's activities, present
seat of Knox County, still a major ranching area.
Knox County Museum
Barbed wire collection and
other relics of early settlers. In County Courthouse.
Open Mon.-Fri. 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.; closed holidays.
Scenic Drive -
northeast provides views of farms and ranch lands cut by
South Wichita River breaks; fantastic shapes in layers of
multi-colored soils. North on Texas 6 to F.M. 1756, east
to F.M. 267, south to U.S. 82, then west back to
Benjamin. A pair of roadside parks on U.S. 82 provide
impressive views north toward South Wichita River and
south toward the Brazos. Parks are at a point called
"the narrows" on a ridge line that separates
the two watersheds.