Brackettville Pop.1,976 Alt. 1,020

General -

Established as supply village for adjacent Fort Clark in 1852. Fort was one of the most historic military posts in Southwest. Over the years, many infantry regiments and most of Army's cavalry units saw duty at Fort Clark. Deactivated in 1944, property is now resort development. Town also became trade center for surrounding ranches and irrigated farms. Seat of Kinney County.

Hunting in area for white-tailed deer, wild turkey, javelina, and upland game birds.

Alamo Village-

Western family recreation center built around movie set for John Wayne's "The Alamo", filmed in 1959. Set was one of the largest and most complete ever constructed in the U.S. The Alamo replica, built by adobe craftsmen from Mexico, overlooks a complete frontier village of the 1800's. Operated by Shahan Angus Ranch, set includes a cantina-restaurant, trading post, Indian store, authentic stage depot, old time jail, bank, saddle shop, and other typical Old West structures. During summer months visitors see regular Country /Western shows-often interrupted by shoot-outs between frontier lawmen and desperados. Set still used for movies, television, and commercials. Open daily at 9a.m.; 7 miles north on R.M. 674; admission. (210)563-2580.

Fort Clark Springs-

Site of Fort Clark, established in 1852. Notable military officers who served here include Col. Ronald S. MacKenzie, Generals George C. Patton and George C. Marshall. Fort deactivated in 1944. Today a resort retirement community open to public offering motel, restaurant, RV park, 18 hole golf course and giant spring-fed swimming pool. For reservations call (210)563-2493 or 1-800- 937-1590 (U.S.).
Old Guardhouse Museum has local and pioneer history exhibits. Museum open Sat., Sun. 1-4p.m. Operated by Fort Clark Historical Society of Kinney County.

Historic Buildings-

Several in the area are of historical interest. St. Mary Magdalene Catholic Church dates from 1878; Masonic Lodge Building, c. 1879, was original county courthouse. It stands next to present courthouse, and is dated by outside staircase.

Scenic Drives-

Two highways lead north into scenic landscapes of the Hill Country, rich in wild game and beautiful vistas. Among sheep, goats, and cattle in rocky pastures, travelers catch glimpses of white-tailed deer or wild turkey, especially in the late afternoon. Several views of West Nueces River winding among steep cliffs and hills. R. M. 674 north to Rocksprings or F. M. 334 northeast to intersection with Texas 55.

Seminole Indian Scout Cemetery-

Dating from frontier era, scouts decended from slaves stolen from plantations by Florida Seminoles. Moved to Oklahoma after Seminole War, many scouts migrated toward Mexico. Army hired 150 as scouts to follow trails of raiding Indians. A group settled in Brackettville around Fort Clark. Descendants remain as farmers and ranchers, and maintain old cemetary on county road about 3 miles south. Graves include four Medal of Honor winners.



Back to the top