Victorian describes Calvert from business buildings and
residences to Virginia Field Park. A National Historic
District. Named for descendant of Lord Baltimore, Robert
Calvert, plantation owner who donated townsite. In 1871
had largest cotton gin in world. Cityclaims title of
"Antique Center of Texas." Bed and breakfast
accomodations offered in historic buildings.
Historical medallions mark Cobb's
Market, 517 Main St.; Church of Epiphany, Gregg and Elm,
and First Presbyterian Church built before Cuvil War with
materials from Calvert Plantation (except for leaded
glass windows), moved to town 1868; other historic sites.
Virginia Field Park-
features large gazebo and shady
playground. Once the site of an unusual prison during
Reconstruction. A 'sky parlor" jail, built atop a
tall pole, held Southern sympathizers.