Seat of Johnson County,
established about 1854, first known as Camp Henderson. In
1867 name changed to honor Confederate Gen. Pat Cleburne.
County is agricultural area featuring dairying, livestock,
and farming, while city economy is supported by diversified
industry and state's largest railroad construction and repair
Near downtown is the historic
section of city, reflected in the pristine homes on N. Anglin
St. and Prairie St. that have been restored to their original
charm of the 1800s.
Johnson County historical
relics, early Texana, comprehensive Indian artifacts dating
from pre-Columbian cultures, fossils, and genealogy records.
Open Mon. - Fri. 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.; Sat. 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. In
handsome 1904 Carnegie Library, 201 N. Caddo.
Cleburne State Park
498 scenic acres offering
camping, picnicking, rest rooms and showers, group camp
facilities, fishing, swimming, boat rentals, groceries,
trailer facilities, and hiking trails. Park contains a
wildlife refuge and 116-acre Cedar Lake; 12 miles southwest
of Cleburne, U.S. 67, Park Rd. 21. Admission.
Lake Pat Cleburne
1,550-acre municipal lake
owned by city of Cleburne. Locally popular for water sports
including fishing, swimming, skiing, power boating and
sailing. Several lakeside service facilities for boatmen and
anglers. About 5 miles west of Cleburne via U.S. 67; also
accessible from Glen Rose.