Grew at junction of Denver City and
Rock Island Railroad lines that crossed here in 1901;
first called twist, the designation of a railroad
section, later Denrock, combining the railroad names,
finally Dalhart, a syllable combination of two counties
(Dallam and Hartley) in which the town lies. Current seat
of Dallam county, and a shipping point for cattle, grains
and other agricultural products.
the Dalhart community theater is
restoring the La Rita Theater, a vintage 1920s
movie palace, for future stage productions at 311
Dalhart is located on the southern
fly-way, hosting an abundant variety of fowl, but native
pheasant population draws sportsmen from far and wide
during hunting season.
Entire area was once part of the
famous XIT ranch.
XIT Rodeo & Reunion honors
dwindling numbers of old-time XIT ranch hands and
celebrates the heritage of the huge ranch. Features
worlds largest amateur rodeo; held annually in late
Wealth of exhibits include railroad
antiques, Indian artifacts, frontier firearms, cowboy
clothing, saddles and tack. Also completely furnished
kitchen, parlor and bedroom, c. 1900, and frontier chapel
with pump organ. Open Mon. - Sat. 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.; art
show and program first Sun. each month 2 - 5 p.m. 108
East 5th St.
Empty Saddle Monument -
A favorite photo subject, monument
stands at north end of Dalharts V-shaped underpass.
Designed by a cowboy after a widow asked that a horse
bearing an empty saddle appear in annual reunion parade
in tribute to her husband, a former XIT Ranch cowpoke.
U.S. 87 North.
Wildlife Management -
Fantastic opportunities for viewing
and photographing various species of birds and other
wildlife await visitors. In Oct., migrating geese stop
over and the population has reached over 100,000. A pond
located northwest of the wildlife management area offers
fishing for area residents and visitors. On F.M. 281
south of the city.
XIT Ranch -
Famed XIT was
worlds largest ranch under fence in the 1880s
- three million acres! The State of Texas, far richer in
land than cash, granted 3,050,000 acres of land in 1882
to a Chicago corporation for construction of state
capitol. An English company, the Capitol Freehold Land
& Investment company of London, operated the immense
spread that covered parts of 10 present counties. The
north fence was 200 miles from the south fence; east -
west distance was 27 miles, and 3,000 miles of barbed
wire delineated hundreds of pastures, pens, residences
and forage enclosures. Initial stocking herd of cattle
numbered 110,721 head. Over the years XIT lands have
divided and sold to "smaller" ranchers, some of
whom control 100,000 acres or more.