Deer Park was Founded in 1892 by
Simon West. The name was chosen for a private park of
deer in the area. A railroad station was established in
1892, and a post office was established in 1893.
This sleepy little town has grown
from a tiny population of 100 in 1940, to a slightly
larger 736 in 1950 to 12,773 in 1970 and the now moderate
size of a quickly approaching 30,000 mark in present day.
This increase is largely due to the establishment of
industry along the Houston Ship Channel
The Battleground at Deer
Park Golf Course-
offers a challenging 18-hole
championship course, driving range, and three practice
holes. Each hole along the course is named for some
portion of Texas history, drawing on Deer Park's title as
"The Birthplace of Texas". Unique, historic
bridge purchased from the Texas Department of
Transportation links clubhouse with course.
Replica of cabin in which the peace
treaty between Texas and Mexico was drawn up after the
Battle of San Jacinto. Constructed in 1986, using
building techniques of 1830, including hauling logs to
site with horse team. Authentic furnishings, garden. Open
Mon. - Fri. 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.; 3009 Center St.
Jacinto Battleground State Historic Park-
Site where Texas won independence
from Mexico on April 21, 1836, at the Battle of San
Jacinto. After retreats and disasters halfway across
Texas, Sam Houston's small army turned on Mexican Gen.
Santa Anna's superior forces and routed them.
Commemorating the decisive battle, San Jacinto Monument
rises 570 feet above flat coastal plain. Famous monument
is constructed of reinforced concrete faced with Texas
fossilized buff limestone. At base of shaft is San
Jacinto Museum of Texas History; exhibits trace region's
history from Indian civilization encountered by Cortez,
to Texas as a state. "Texas Forever!! The Battle of
San Jacinto" is a 35-minute history lesson reliving
Texas history from the days of Spanish rule in Mexico to
the expansion of the American West in 1848. The
multi-image presentation utilizes 42 projectors. Show
fee, Museum open daily 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.; elevator and
observation deck open daily 10 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. Elevator
fee. Closed Dec. 24 & 25. Another landmark of the
park is Battleship Texas, moored in permanent slip
at battleground. one of few Monuments of its kind in the
world, it is only survivor of the pre-World War I
dreadnoughts. Battleship was presented to State of Texas
by U.S. Navy. commissioned shortly before world War 1,.
The venerable warship served in that conflict and in
World War 11 as flagship in 1944 D-Day invasion commanded
by Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower, a native of Denison, TX .
Open Wed. - Sun. 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. East of downtown
Houston 22 miles -via Texas 225, Texas 134. Admission.