Edgewood Pop. 1,352 Alt. 460

General -

Because of a dispute between Canton and Wills Point over location of the Van Zandt County seat, Canton citizens wanted a shipping point other than Wills Point. They built a nine mile road to a siding on the T&P Railroad in 1878, and Edgewood was born there. In 1890 a group from Mississippi chose the town in which to settle, and by 1915 the population had grown to 850.

Edgewood Heritage Park Museum -

More than a dozen historical structures, along with such displays as animal-powered farm equipment and a syrup mill, preserve the history of the area. Included are cabins from the 1800’s, blacksmith shop, country store, barber shop, schoolhouse, and a museum of tools, clothing, and other pioneer items. Docents in period dress often demonstrate pioneer skills. Open Tues., Wed., Fri., Sat. 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. On F.M. 859 four blocks north of U.S. 80. For information, call 903/896-1940. Admission.


Back to the top