Built on Robert Guthrie League granted
by Mexican government through Stephen
F. Austin in 1824. As
commissary for Italian laborers on the New York, Texas and
Mexican Railway, town was first called Macaroni Station.
Today seat of Jackson County, commercial center for rice,
cotton, livestock, and oil.
Texano State Park-
575 acres on Lake Texana offer
water-oriented recreation including boating, fishing, water
skiing, and swimming; picnic facilities, camping with water
and electrical hookups, rest rooms, showers, boat ramp. East
6.5 miles via Texas III south; admission.
Exhibits include artifacts, art items,
and documents pertaining to early life in area. Open Tues. -
Fri. 1 - 5 p.m.; Sat. 8 a.m. - noon. 403 N. Wells (Texas Ill