Elgin Population. 5,700 Altitude. 579

Elgin is home to some of the best BBQ around!!! General -

In Bastrop County, the city was established as a flag stop on the Houston and Central Railroad in 1872 and named for Robert Morris Elgin, the railroad land commissioner who laid out the townsite. City owes its existence to a major flood of the Colorado river in 1869. Originally, the railroad was to have run 10 miles east of Elgin. When the river rose 60 feet over its banks, the railroad surveyed a new line through Elgin to Austin. The economy is based on light industry, agriculture, and brick manufacturing. At one time Elgin was called "The Brick Capital of the Southwest".

No visit to Elgin would be complete without tasting Elgin's hot sausage. It's wonderful! Four sausage companies make the delicacy. Information on location is available at the visitor center. In fact, Elgin was named by the Texas Legislature as the "Sausage Capital of Texas".

Be sure to visit the antique mall on U.S. 290 with more than 50 dealers offering a large variety of antiques and collectibles.

All through the city, keep an eye out for beautiful, old homes. Also, downtown, a Main Street city, is recapturing its early look by refurbishing and reusing its historic buildings. Movies and TV commercials often use Elgin's quaint streets as backdrops.

Elgin lies along the Presidential Corridor linking George Herbert Walker Bush Library in Bryan / College Station with the Lyndon B. Johnson Library in Austin.

Bed and Breakfast accommodations are available in historic buildings in the city and surrounding area.

Nofsinger Home -

Built in 1906 of brick from an Elgin clay pit, the two story structure has twelve foot ceilings and original woodwork and fixtures. The elegant home houses the Elgin City hall and chamber of commerce offices at 310 North Main. Tours available Mon. - Fri. 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. For information, call (512)285-4515.


Back to the top