FALFURRIAS Population- 5,957 Altitude- 109


Established in 1883, Falfurrias is Spanish for "Heart's Delight", the name of a local wild flower. The seat of the ranch-oriented Brooks County, which is nationally noted for cattle breeding and meat production. Beefmaster breed of cattle originated in this county. Dairying began here when the town's founder, Ed Lasater, divided 60,000 acres of ranchland into small dairy farms in the early 1900's. To provide an outlet for these products, Lasater constructed the Falfurrias Creamery, still famous for its "sweet cream butter." Other agriculture products include cotton, peanuts, vegetables, and melons.

Hunters take deer, turkey, javelina, and many types of birds in season.

Don Pedrito Shrine-

Falfurrians tell the tale of Don Pedrito, a Mexican faith healer born in Jalisco, Mexico. Legend has it that he was cured through faith and given the gift of healing in a vision. He came to Los Olmos Ranch in 1881 and for some 25 years thousands of people came to him to be cured. Thousands still visit the shrine each year. Take Texas 285 east 2 mi., F.M. 1418 north to shrine. Texas Historical marker at site.

Heritage Museum-

Pictures, weapons, and other mementos of early frontier heritage as well as artifacts of pioneer days in Brooks County. Open Mon. - Fri. 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.; Sat. 9 a.m. - noon. 300 N. St. Mary's St. (U.S. 281).



Back to the top