FARMERS BRANCH Population- 25,358 Altitude- 633


Extensive advertising by the Texas Land and Emigration Company in 1845 through 1850 made this portion of Peters' Colony, perhaps the best known of all of the Texas settlements at the time.

Many Dallas County firsts are credited here, including the first church, the first school, and the first blacksmith shop. The population in 1946 was about 800 persons the city's enormous growth parallels most Dallas suburbs. Farmers Branch is the home of 21 Fortune 500 companies as well as Brookhaven College.

Historical Park-

One od many vintage structures in Historical Park.

The 22-acre, tree-shaded park opened in 1986 to tout the heritage of Farmers Branch, which was founded in 1841. You will find the following historical structures at the park:

The 1856 Gilbert House is the oldest rock structure in Dallas County still on its original foundation. In 1988, the Gilbert House was listed in the National Register of Historic Places and Landmarks. It became a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in 1986.

The 1890 Old Church; 1877 Depot and 1890s all-wood Caboose; 1900 one-room School House; 1840s Log Culture area; 1885 Queen Anne Victorian Cottage; 1930s replica Marathon Service Station housing a 1936 Ford cab-over-engine truck; and 1937 Dodson House.

Hours of Operation:
Mon - Friday 8:00 am - 6 pm; Sat and Sun: Noon - 6 pm
Park closed: Fridays, Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day
Please call (972) 406-0184 or visit for tour and special event information.



Back to the top