This rural community located
in West Menard County occupies the site of a frontier
Army fort founded in the mid-1800's as a protection for
Anglo-settlers from Native American Indians. located On
F.M. 864 just south of U.S. 190 (west of Menard).
State Historic Site-
This old fort was established
in 1852. Known then as Camp San Saba; later named for
Captain Henry McKavett, whom was killed at the fierce
Battle of Monterrey in the Mexican War. Fort McKavett was later abandoned during
the Civil War; but, soon reoccupied by Colonel Ranald S.
Mackenzie in 1868.
By 1876 there were stone barracks
for eight infantry companies, 12 officers' quarters, a
hospital, guardhouse, magazine, bakery, post office,
large headquarters building, storehouses and stables. The
importance of this fort declined after 1874 when a major
and brutal Army offensive against Native American Indians
produced several major victories for the Anglo's. The
most significant victory came in Palo Duro Canyon (See Canyon). The Post was totally abandoned in 1883.
The site became a historical landmark and extensive
restoration of ruins were made.Today, Interpretive exhibits in original
hospital feature historical photos, dioramas, and some 200 artifacts.
Open daily 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.