Established on H&TC Railroad when track
was laid from Brenham to Austin in 1871. Settled chiefly by Wendish
immigrants who moved to railroad from Serbin community 6 miles south.
Notorious outlaw Bill Longley hanged here October 11, 1878; historical
marker at grave in cemetery on U.S. 290 at west city limit. Increasing oil
in area is major activity; area also rich in lignite, fuller's earth and
The 1899 octagonal courthouse, identical in design but
not material to Comal County courthouse, is on crest of divide between
Brazos and Colorado River basins.
Community / Wendish Museum
Celebrated 125th anniversary November 9,
1980. German settled town 6 miles south on F.M. 2239 (not shown on most
maps). The old Wendish church has unusual seating arrangement. Men were to
occupy balcony, women and children sat in downstairs pews. Pulpit is at
balcony level. Ball on steeple's weather vane has engraved history of church
and Wendish pioneers.
Texas Wendish Heritage Museum displays
antique furniture, tools, household items and artifacts typically Slavic and
Wendish. Also documents and photos. Open Sunday through Friday, 1 - 5 p.m.
North of St. Paul Lutheran Church, adjacent to Wendish Cemetary.
Local store in operation for almost 100
years. Old time saloon restored to soda fountain and ice cream parlor.
Some 9 miles east on U.S. 290. Bed and breakfast (breakfast served in old
saloon area of store) available in historic 1860's hotel. The Ledbetter
Bed and Breakfast Conference Center offers bed and breakfast facilities,
as well as a meeting place. For information, call 409/249-3066.
Restored 19th-Century farmstead with plantation homes, log cabins, fireplace kitchen,
smokehouse and barns. Center for study of ethnic cultures of Central Texas; operated
by Univ. of Texas at Austin. Open Sat. 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.; Sun, noon - 5 p.m. Group tours
Mon. - Fri., with at least two days notice. Four miles east of Round Top via F.M. 1457
and FM. 2714 (not shown on most highway maps). Admission.