Picturesquely situated on Lake Granbury, the seat of Hood
County. The city was settled in 1854 by Thomas Lambert, who united it with the
settlement of Stockton to form the nucleus of Granbury. The Square is on the
National Register of Historic Places. Granbury cemetery is the final resting place
of Jesse James. Bed and Breakfast accommodations are offered in historic buildings;
the Convention and Visitors Bureau offers a list of these. Additional, detailed area
information is available at the Convention and Visitors Bureau Visitor's center at 100 N.
Crockett St. or call 817/573 - 5548.
Acton State Historical Park-
Texas' smallest state park is the grave site of Elizabeth Crockett,
the second wife of Davy Crockett. A monument was erected by an act of the Texas
legislature in 1911. About 6 miles east, U.S. 377, F.M. 167.
Brazos Drive - in Theater-
Authentic 1950's Drive - in movie, one of only 12 still in operation
in Texas. Open Fri. - Sun. at 9 p.m. during daylight savings time; otherwise 7:45
p.m. For movie schedule, call 817/573 - 1311. Admission.
Granbury Opera House-
Built in 1886, the Opera House was restored and reopened in 1975.
Plays and musicals are presented weekends February thru December. Located on
the square. Call for performance schedule 817/573 - 9191.
Sightseeing cruises on Lake Granbury on 73 - foot replica of a
Mississippi River paddle wheeler. Sight seeing cruises on Sat. and Sun. at 2 and
4:30 p.m. For information call 817/573 - 6822. Departs from river landing on
Texas 144 1 mi. south of U.S. 377. Fare.
Gulch at Granbury, The-
Family entertainment center offers par 70 miniature golf course
along with batting cages, arcades and driving ranges. Hours are seasonal: Sun. -
Thurs. 9 a.m. - 10 p.m., Fri. - Sat. 9 a.m. - midnight;(winter, Mon. - Thurs. noon - 10
p.m.; Fri. - Sat. noon - midnight.) 3800 U.S. 377 East. 817/579 - 1515.
Historic Homes Tours-
Many of the city's fine old homes are open during candlelight tour
in December. Below are homes open for tours:
Captain's house, The- Built in the
1870's by James H. Doyle, this Queen Anne Victorian is two blocks from the square
overlooking Lake Granbury. Home features original floors and stained glass windows,
with furniture dating back to the turn of the century. Doyle was a businessman
instrumental in getting the first bridge built. He was known locally as
"Captain." Tour Wed. at 2 p.m. At 123 West Doyle St. For
information call 817/579 - 6664.
Dabney House- Built in 1907
by prominent banker Dan Codgell as a wedding gift to his daughter. Later owned by
Dr. T.H. Dabney who practiced medicine. Early 1900's charm with stained glass,
antiques and woodwork. Tours Thurs., Fri. at 11:30 a.m.; Sat. noon and 2 p.m.
Tour fee. 817/579 - 1260.
Iron Horse Inn, The- Home built in
1900 by D.C. Codgell, local banker, who chartered First National Bank of Granbury in 1887,
which is still in operation. Features include wide front door with coppered glass
transom and slide lights. Tour Thurs. at 2 p.m. 616 N. Thorp Springs Rd.
Tour fee. 817/579 - 5535.
Pearl Street Inn- Prairie style home
built in 1912 by lawyer B.M. Estes who fought for prohibition in 1887. A city
councilman and mayor, Estes died in 1938; his daughter lived here until 1954. Tour
Thurs. at 1:30 p.m. Tour fee.
Historic Inn:Nutt House-
Noted restaurant and restored country inn dates from 1893.
Family - style foods feature old fashioned favorites like chicken and dumplings and crispy
hot - water cornbread. Eight guest rooms furnished c. 1919. On the square
downtown. For information call 817/573 - 5612.
Hood County Jail-
This Old West - type jail, built in 1885, now houses the Chamber of
Commerce. Contains the original cell block and a hanging tower. Tours Mon. -
Fri. 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Railroad Depot Museum-
Restored to its 1914 splendor, the depot is representative of early
20th century rural Texas train stations. Open Tues. noon - 4 p.m., Sat. 10 a.m. - 3
p.m. Located at 109 E. Ewell.