Settled in 1824 by John P. Coles, one of Stephen f.
Austin's 300 original families in Texas. First called
Coles Settlement, the village name was changed in 1836 to
commemorate independence of Texas from Mexico. The town
square was laid out for the Washington County courthouse,
but Brenham won a heated county seat election by two
votes. On F.M. 50 a few miles north of Brenham.
Antique Rose Emporium -
Nursery specializing in older
classes of garden roses, many brought to the area by
settlers, along with native plants, old-fashioned garden
perennials and herbs planted in display gardens. Historic
Hairston-McKnight homestead's restored stone kitchen is
focal point of garden. Open Tues. - Sat. 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.;
Sun. 11 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. On F.M. 50, just south of
intersection with F.M. 390.
many notables buried there, Sam
Houston, Jr., Moses Austin Bryan, the Hoxey family and
veterans of all U.S. wars from the American Revolution
through World War II.
Old Baylor Park -
On site of campus of Old Baylor
University. Original home of John P. Coles relocated and
restored here (open by appointment only). Modern picnic
facilities and rest rooms make this place come alive!.
One-half mile west on F.M. 390.
Ruins of Old Baylor University
Birthplace of present Baylor
University (Waco) and University of Mary Hardin-Baylor
(Belton). Four large stone pillars mark original site of
Baylor's administration and classroom building; other
ruins of six acre original campus.
Sam Houston Homesite -
Marked with large granite marker,
stands on F.M. 390 across from entrance to Old Baylor
campus. Mrs. Houston's 1863 home stands one block east of
old Baptist church on F.M. 390.
Scenic Drive -
F.M. 390 east and west from
independence offers attractive scenery and exceptional
vistas. Especially colorful around mid-April during
Texas Baptist Historical Center
Historic Independence Baptist
Church, organized in 1839, third oldest Baptist church in
Texas, where Sam Houston was converted in 1854 and
baptized by Dr. R. C. Burleson. Present building dating
to pre-Civil-War days. Mrs. Sam Houston and her mother
Nancy Moffette Lea, longtime members of the church, are
buried within sound of the historic bell, just across the
street from churchyard. Old records, family information
and local travel information available at museum. Open
We. - Sat. 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. At F.M. 390 / F.M. 50
A few miles east of Independence on
the Brazos River.