Ingram Pop.1,450 Alt.1,600

Noth bank of Guadalupe river, city was founded in 1883 by J. C. W. Ingram who built a store and conducted church services. "New" section was started in 1936 following a disastrous flood. A trade center for surrounding camps, vacation and retirement homes.

Hill Country Arts Foundation - founded in 1958 to provide a cultural atmosphere, including art classes and theater for professional and amateurs, plus special children's program. Famous artists conduct art classes; theater is directed by top professionals. Art gallery, gift shop, studios, and theater in scenic setting on bank of Guadalupe river; outdoor productions scheduled June - Aug. Visual Arts Center open Mon. - Sat. 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.; Sun 1 - 4 p.m. Just west of city on Texas 39.

Old Ingram - Business buildings of old section of town now house art studios and galleries, antique shops, boutiques and restaurants. On loop off Texas 39 and Texas 27.

Stonehenge in the Hills - Far from Salisbury Plain in England, this replica of the famous megaliths rises in a rural setting two miles west of Hunt on F.M. 1340. Stonehenge II, as it is called, is 60 percent as tall as the original, and 90 percent as big around. Along with the replica of Stonehenge are Easter Island type statues which disturb many of the locals. Texas 39 to Hunt.



Back to the top