Located in south central Cameron County, the town was named for the
fresnos (ash) trees scattered in the woods and along streams. In 1912, Lon Hill, an
early land owner, formed a company to develop a canal system which would use the Rio
Grande River to irrigate land for farming. Railroad construction in the early 1900s
began to bring settlers to the area, and by 1915 a post office was established,
Because of the fertile, irrigated land, farm products increased and with thhe long growing
season in the Valley, farming flourished. Today the city is still surrounded by
fertile farm/ranch land. Major crops are cotton, sugar cane, grains, orange, and red
For information on events, accommodations, and dining facilities,
and other area happenings, contact the Los Fresnos Area Chamber of Commerce at (210)
Contains large collection of Elvis Presley memorabilia,
including photos, posters, watches, and more. The owner served
in the U.S. Army with Elvis while stationed in Germany. At
times during the year there are Elvis impersonator contests.
Open Sat. - Sun. 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.; other times by appointment.
West Ocean Blvd. (Texas 100) downtown. For information, write
Rt. 1, Box 94, Los Fresnos, TX 78566. Admission.