Established in 1852 as Perry, Tx, by settlers from Perry, Ill. it
was renamed in 1881 to honor Col. W. L. Moody, director of the Gulf, Colorado, and Santa
Fe Railroad, when the line was built through. Moody Drug, established in 1881, is
one of the oldest drug stores in Texas; the Moody Courier, established 1889, is the city's
second oldest business. The city's varied architecture is of interest. A Texas
A&M experimental farm is 5 mi. north.
Mother Neff State Park -
First state park in Texas, the site was donated by the mother of
Gov. Pat Neff. The shady 259-acre site is located on the Leon River. Fishing,
picnicking, playground, tent and trailer camping, nature study, and hiking are available.
West 8 mi. via FM 107, Texas 236. Admission.