Founded in 1923; post office established 1924. Morton became
the seat of Cochran County when the county organized in 1924. Today it is a banking,
market and shipping center for the county. Products include petroleum, cotton,
cattle and feed.
C.C. Slaughter Ranch Headquarters-
Adobe buildings placed to form a quadrangle, part of a once
extensive headquarters complex of a cattle baron who established the ranching empire.
Still ranch headquarters, visitors are welcome. Two miles south on Texas 214;
one mile west on FM 1169 (not shown on most maps.)