Seat of Crockett County,
vast ranching and oil area of 3,000 square miles; city is
the state's largest unincorporated town and the only town
in the entire county. Ozona, is one of nation's top areas
in wool production; more than two million pounds
aremarketed annually. In Edwards Plateau region,hunters
find white-tailed deer, javelina and upland game birds.
Memorial Fair Park-
Present location of
Emerald House, oldest dwelling in county. Moved from town
of Emerald when Ozona became county seat in 1891. Park
offers playgrounds, picnic facilities. East edge of city
off U.S. 290.
Frontier antiques, Indian
relics, artifacts from Fort Lancaster, ranch implements
and household items of the Western frontier. Open Mon. -
Fri. 2 - 5 p.m. 404 11th St. (U.S. 290).
Statue in city park on
town square honors legendary frontiersman and hero of the
Alamo, for whom county was named.
Fort Lancaster State
Historic Site -
Established 1855 by 1 st
U.S. Infantry; large rectangle around parade ground was
site of 25 buildings that housed two corn ' panies.
Troopers on mules protected wagon trains on San
Antonio-El Paso "lower road." Abandoned 1861.
Modern visitor and interpretive center open Wed. - Sun.
8a.m. - 5 p.m. West 33 mi. on U.S. 290.
Lancaster Hill, west on
U.S. 290, overlooks Pecos River valley. A highway rest
area provides an excellent spot for picnic lunch with