Named for it's location in the Texas Panhandle, Panhandle became the
county seat upon organization of Carson County in 1888. Wheat, cattle and petroleum
products are among commodities from this marketing and shipping center. The restored
Santa Fe depot serves as city hall.
FM 293 west to Texas 136 north provides views of modern High Plains
agriculture contrasted with traditional ranch lands unchanged for centuries. Precise
row crops are left behind as the route enters the rolling grasslands of the broad
Canadian River Valley. Fascinating historical marker beside Texas 136, some 10 miles
north of FM 293 marks the portion of the trail that wound from Fort Smith AR to Santa Fe,
NM. Though now covered by grass, wagon ruts are still visible. Texas 136
leades north to Lake Meredith and the popular federal recreational areas around it.
Square House Museum-
One of the most attractive small museums in the state.
Displays and dioramas interpret the history, natural history, and art of the Texas
Panhandle. Thirteen structures include the historic Square House, oldest building in
the city; Santa Fe caboose; reconstructed pioneer dugout; Eclipse windmill; community
church; two art galleries; wildlife hall; early ranching barn; general store; bank;
blacksmith shop; education building with Indian art and Texas flag exhibits.
Self-guiding or tours by arrangement. Open daily. Pioneer Park on
Texas 207. Admission Free.
Thomas Cree's Little Tree-
Set behind protective fence at south edge of US 60 about five miles
southwest of the city is the first tree planted in the entire Texas panhandle!
Immense plains were once a sea of grass from horizon to horizon. IN 1888
pioneer Thomas Cree hauled a sapling of bois d'arc from beyond the Cap Rock and planted it
by his dugout home. Cree is long gone, but the tree thrived until 1969 when
accidentally killed by and agricultural chemical. Natural seedlings from the
original tree are growing today. Site is marked by a State Historical Marker and by
medallion from the National Men's Garden Clubs of America.