Plano Population- 141,999 Altitude- 655


Plano, Texas was first settled in 1845. Originally named Fillmore for Millard Fillmore. That name (obviously) was later changed in 1851 when the post office was granted to the new town.

In 1881 most of the city was destroyed by a fierce fire. Ironically, there was another disastrous major fire in 1895 which also destroyed many businesses. Many early buildings survived and are described in a historical guide available at the chamber of commerce.

Historic downtown with brick streets has undergone a revitalization project with brick sidewalks, turn of the century lampposts, and plaza to enhance specialty shops, boutiques, galleries, and restaurants. With the growth of nearby Dallas, this little city grew from a mere 3,695 residents in 1960 to a whopping 72,331 in 1980.

Plano is now widely acknowledged as the "Balloon Capital of Texas" with hot-air balloon races scheduled the last weekend every September. A Large arts and crafts fair is also held in conjunction with the balloon festival.

Fairview Farms-

It's been more than 100 years since Clinton Haggard moved to Plano from Kentucky. Today, the Haggard family is still active in farming and has created an area to bring farm life to the city. There's a farmer's market, arts barn, museum, general store, farm animals, party pavilion, and restaurant. Seasonal demonstrations held throughout the year include sheep shearing, horse-shoeing and other events depicting farm life. Open daily. U.S. 75 at Parker Rd. (exit 30), For information, call (972)424-2254.

Heritage Farmstead Museum (Farrell-Wilson Farmstead)-

Built in 1891, was the center of working farm until 1972. Four-acre site includes preserved windmill and outbuildings. Listed in National Register of Historic Places. Guided tours. Open June - August. Tues. - Fri. 10 a.m. - I p.m,; Sat., 10 a.m. 1 p.m.; Sun., 1 - 4 p.m. Sept, - May open Thurs. - Fri. 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Sat., 10 a.m. - I p.m.; Sun., 1 - 4 p.m. (Note: Last tour leaves 1 hour before closing time.) 15th St. at Custer Rd. Admission. Call (972)424-7874.

Interurban Railway Station Museum-

Between 1908 and 1948 the Texas Electric Railway ran from Denison to Waco, linking Dallas to smaller cities. Plano's Interurban Station was completed in 1908. Building, restored to its original condition, contains memorabilia of railway history. Taller portion of building housed large transformers that converted AC power generated in McKinney to the 600 volt DC power used by interurban cars. Outside of museum is an electric interurban railway car, not open to public.

Open Monday through Friday, 10:00am to 2:00pm, and Saturday, 1:00pm to 5:00pm. Group tours available. Reservations suggested. Telephone (direct) (972) 941-2117

The Interurban Railway Station and Museum is located in Haggard Park, 901 E. 15th St.

Mountasia Fantasy Golf-

A 54 hole miniature golf course takes golfers through caves, waterfalls, and other obstacles. Can accommodate 500 golfers. 7,000-sq.-ft. clubhouse includes latest video games available. At 2400 Premier Dr. off U.S. 75 (between Park and Parker Rd.). Admission. For additional information, call (972)424-9940.


Award-winning park system includes two indoor and one outdoor pools, 21-court tennis center, municipal golf course, outdoor learning center, playground, playground for handicapped children, and a hike-and-bike trail system 15 miles long connecting seven park sites.

Southfork Ranch-

The world famous Southfork Ranch known for its exposure on the hit show "Dallas"

Many visitors to Dallas and Fort Worth enjoy a visit to Southfork Ranch, made famous by the "Dallas" TV series, a number one hit in 96 countries where shown. Visitors can tour this famous mansion and grounds, and even see: the gun that shot J. R., Lucy's wedding dress, and other memorabilia from the show in "Dallas Legends: Fact to Fantasy" museum which is completely dedicated to the history of the TV show. There's also "Lincoln's and Longhorns" Western store featuring the original Lincoln Continental J.R. Ewing drove in the show. Open daily, From U.S. 75 North, take exit 30 and drive east on F.M. 2514/Parker Rd. about six miles; turn right on F.M. 2551 (Hogge Rd.) and there's the ranch. (972)442-7800. Admission.



Back to the top