Named for Quannah Parker,
last great war chief of the Comanche Indians, son of a Comanche chief and captive white
girl, Cynthia Ann Parker. Today Quannah is the seat of Hardeman county. The
town is a center for agricultural marketing and a shipping point for related businesses,
such as cottonseed oil mills, cotton compresses, dairy and meat packing plants. A large
gypsum plant is also nearby.
Be sure to visit Medicine Mound Depot Restaurant in an historic building built in 1910
along the Kansas City, Mexico, and Orient Railroad in Medicine Mound townsite.; the
building was moved to its present location on U.S. 287. Don't spoil your appetite with all
the parched peanuts you can eat!
Take time to visit the historic sites around the city - Trinity Episcopal Church, First
Presbyterian Church, and the Quannah Parker Monument and Memorial Walkway. Quannah
is a Texas Main Street city. For additional information, contact the Quannah Chamber
of Commerce at 220 south main Street, or call 940/663-2222.
Copper Breaks State Park -
1,933 acre park includes campsites with shade structures and utilities, picnicking,
swimming, fishing, playgrounds, and hiking trails. The park is representative of the
stark and rugged beauty common to many parts of of North and West Texas, with natural
erosion of Permian red beds complementing the green of native redberry junipers. On
Pease River, 1.3 miles south of Quannah on Texas 6. Admission.
Hardeman County Museum -
In county jail built in 1891 of native stone, upper floor cells have been left intact.
General history museum occupies lower floor and features exhibits of history of
Quannah and Hardeman county, and a Space Room furnished by NASA and the Smithsonian
Open weekdays 2 - 6 p.m. 101 Green Street.
Medicine Mounds -
Four unusual cone shaped hills that rise some 350 feet above the surrounding plains;
named by the Comanche Indians, held in awe and reverence by them. Indians believed
the mounds were dwelling places of powerful and benevolent spirits who could cure ills,
assure successful hunts, and protect warriors in battle. The mounds are on private
property; drive by view about five miles south off Texas 283.
Quannah, Acme & Pacific Railway Depot -
Three story structure built in 1908 in Spanish mission style with red Ludowici Serville
tile roof. An extension of the Hardeman County Jail museum, the depot is listed in
the national Register of Historical Places. Open weekdays 2-6 p.m.