Rio Grande City Population- 11,923  Altitude 238


Port of entry with international bridge between U.S. and Mexico; seat of Starr County.  Area included in Jose de Escandon's Colony of 1753; when General Zachary Taylor Established Fort Ringgold in 1848, it added population and permanence.

Fort Ringgold-

One of Texas' best preserved old military posts; named for Major David Ringgold, first army officer killed in Battle of Palo Alto that opened Mexican War.   Established after Mexican War for protection against Indians and to assure the Rio Grande as a national boundary;  deactivated in 1944.  Among its distinguished landmarks are Lee House, once occupied by Col. Robert E. Lee when he commanded the Department of Texas before the Civil War, and an old post hospital.  Portions of fort are now part of the Rio Grande City school system.  The fort is located off U.S. 83 at east limit.

Historic Inn: La Borde House-

Completed in 1899 as a home and border store by a French merchant-riverboat trader.  It was converted to a hotel operated by the family until the 1930s.  Designed by Parisian architects; combines European, Creole, and Texas border styles with shady verandahs, courtyard, and patio.  Nine rooms and the parlor are restored and furnished in turn-of-century decor.  Operates as hotel and restaurant; 601 E. Main St. (U.S. 83).

Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto-

Replica of venerable shrine in Lourdes, France; contains statures of Our Lady of Lourdes and a peasant girl whose visions led to establishment of the original shrine.  It is located near Starr County Courthouse at 305 N. Britton.



Back to the top