Established in 1850, named for the
large round rock in the bed of Brushy Creek. Site of the
historic St. Charles Hotel, which was built in 1850. Best
known as the site of the killing of notorious outlaw Sam
Bass, whom is now buried in Round Rock Cemetery.
Basss gang plagued stagecoaches, trains and banks
in the area and was the object of an intensive chase by
the Texas Rangers. An informer warned the Rangers and Round
Rock lawmen of a planned raid on a local bank. The Bass
gang was ambushed there on July 18th., 1878. Wounded in
the gun battle, Bass died two days later.
Palm House Museum & Visitor Center -
Restored home of founding family
with authentic furnishings and elegant parlor. Moved to its present location in 1976, this home features exhibits on Round Rock history and its Swedish roots. 212 East Main Street.
Open Daily. Call (512) 255-5805
The Purple Sage Elementary School-
Wonderful poems and stories from
the local students