FORT STOCKTON Population. 9,957 Altitude. 3,052


Town developed with the establishment of a military post in 1859, an outpost on Butterfield Overland Mail Route at crossing of Old San Antonio Road and ancient Comanche War Trail. Popular with Indians long before white men arrived because of large springs nearby. This area was one of the earliest irrigated farming efforts in Texas; An estimated 8,000 acres were irrigated as early as 1877. Today, Fort Stockton is the seat of Pecos County, retail and shipping headquarters for vast ranching, natural gas and oil activities, and a major West Texas crossroads. Hunting excellent for mule deer and pronghorn antelope.

Annie Riggs Hotel Museum-

The old hotel, built 1899, was a popular stop on stage route. Restored and maintained by local historical society, features area-related displays of life at turn of century. Open daily Mon. - Sat. 10 - noon; 1 - 5 p.m.; Sun. 1:30 - 5 p.m.; summer till 8 p.m. daily. 301 S. Main St.

Comanche Springs-

Once among the largest springs in Texas, now the site of an Olympic sized swimming pool. Historical notations date from days of Cabeza de Vaca's explorations, 1534, and other explorers such as Espejo in 1583, Mendosa in 1684.

Courthouse Square-

Historic features include courthouse (1883), first Catholic Church (1875), first schoolhouse (1883), and Zero Stone placed by survey party in 1859, used as origin point for all land surveys in this part of West Texas. Nearby 8-t. Stephens Episcopal Church (1872), was first Protestant Church west of the Pecos River

Grey Mule Saloon -

Preserving nostalgic remembrance of times past, restored old saloon was one of early-day 'red-eye" dispensaries of West Texas. Callaghan and Main St.

Historical Sites Tour -

A series of special signs on city streets provide guidance for do-it-yourself tour of historic sites. Friendly citizens will fill in details.

James Rooney County Park-

Green and spacious park located on the southern edge of city at the historic Comanche Springs. Swimming, picnicing, and tennis courts.


Imperial Reservoir.

Old Fort Cemetery -

Records on existing tombstones indicate few people lived beyond age 40; indication of hardships among those who opened and settled this harsh country.

Old Fort Stockton-

Typical frontier military post established in 1859, and abandoned in 1886. Many original buildings of adobe ard hand hewn limestone still stand. Officers' Row and old guardhouse on Williams St. between 4th and bib St.

Paisano Pete -

Paisano Pete , roadside monument honoring the roadrunner

At 20 feet long and 11 feet tall, Pete is probably the world's largest roadrunner!

A very popular photo subject.

Located on U.S. 290 at Main St.

Paisano Pete's holiday garb gives travelers in Fort Stockton one more reason to pause for a photo moment at this roadside monument honoring the roadrunner.


Tunis Creek Stagecoach Stop -

Former way station on Butterfield Overland Mail Route; later a Texas Ranger station His toric structure was moved to a highway rest area on U.S. 290 20 miles east. Original location was approximately two miles south.

Visit the City of Fort Stockton Home Page for more information!



Back to the top