Originally named Taylorsville to honor Edward M. Taylor, an official of Houston Belt
and Terminal RR, when the town site was laid out in 1876 in southeastern Williamson
County. First public school in 1883, first water works in 1882 and first churches in
1878; incorporated in 1882. Today the town is a center for agricultural businesses
and an industrial area with plants making furniture, clothing, bedding and many other
Two municipal parks provide swimming pools, picnic areas and other recreational
activities. Mustang Creek Club's nine hole golf course is open to the public.
A self guided driving tour is available from the Taylor Chamber of Commerce. For
additional information on accommodations, dining and area events, give the Chamber a call
For hikers and joggers, Bull Branch hike and bike trail crisscrosses the city ending in
the southeast at Murphy Park.
Taylor is also home to branches of Temple College and Austin community College.
Moody Museum -
Housed in the restored birthplace of Texas governor, Dan Moody, who gained fame by
prosecuting the Ku Klux Klan in Williamson County. Built in 1887, the Victorian
house contains many original furnishings donated by the Moody family.
Open Sunday 3 - 5 p.m. 114 West Ninth Street.