San Juan is in an irrigated valley of the Rio Grande on the Missouri & Pacific
Railroad. Organized in 1909, the name derived from a Spanish name given town
organizer John Closner. One of the South's largest plants for the manufacture of
concrete irrigation pipe is here. Colorful banks of scarlet bougainvillea edge the
highway. On special days, San Juan invites visitors to "pick grapefruit "
Bed and Breakfast accommodations offered in historic buildings.
Shrine of La Virgen de San Juan del Valle -
An elaborate Catholic Church, completed in 1954, included many imported objects
of art. The church was destroyed by fire after an airplane crash (apparently
deliberate) in 1970. A wooden statue of Our Lady Of San Juan was, however,
undamaged. Ten years later the small statue was placed in a new shrine built mostly
from small contributions.
Located North of downtown on Business U.S. 83 and Raul Longoria Road.