Baytown Grew from a small sawmill
and store settlement in 1824; among the early settlers
Lynch who set up the Lynchburg
Ferry in 1822. (See Below.)A Confederate shipyard was
established nearby at the mouth of Goose Creek in 1864;
oil was discovered in 1916. Today, Industries feature oil
refineries, petrochemicals, and synthetic rubber. Baytown
also has many recreational facilities for sailing,
saltwater fishing and water sports activities. It is also
the home of Lee College.
Baytown Historical Museum -
Artifacts pertaining to local and
pioneer history. Open Tues. - Sat. 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.; 220
West Defee St.
Houston Raceway Park -
A 440 acre drag racing complex with
races every Wed. and Sat. night (Dec. - Mar. , Wed. &
Sun.). At 2525 F.M. 5656 South. For information call
Lynchburg Ferry -
Shuttles travelers across the mouth
of the San Jacinto River. In operation since 1822. West
Bicentennial Park features outdoor
theater and hosts annual July 4th celebration and other
outdoor concerts. Lee Drive and Market Sts.
Gray Sports Complex includes
lighted ballfield, lighted tennis courts, nature trails,
picnic area and playground. 5200 East Road.
Republic of Texas Plaza-
was dedicated during the
sesquicentennial and features statue of Ashbel Smith, one
of the citys early settlers and leader for
advancement of education in Texas. Historical marker in
city identifies Smiths home Evergreen,
overlooking Tabbs Bay.
Wallisville heritage Park -
Displays and artifacts of Spanish
mission Nuestra Senora de la Luz and Presidio San Agustin
di Ahumada, 1756 - 1771; includes vintage saddle making
tools, hardware, and area history.