First settlement of the woodlands area dates from Mexican land grants of 1835. Founded
when Cotton Belt Railroad was built through town in 1877; named for nearby Sandy Creek.
Rural community has adopted the title of "The
Needlecraft Capital of the South".
The Village Tea Room-
Complex of exquisitely restored Victorian homes clustered around
old-fashioned gardens accented by colorful plantings and immaculate lawns. Includes
bed-and-breakfast country guest house, tearoom (reservations required), antique/gift shop.
Open year round. At intersection of U.S. 80/Texas 155; phone (903)636-4952.
The Needlecraft Shop and Annie's Attic have a Retail Outlet Store
located at 701 W. Broadway with items that are offered in their catalogs; phone
The Village Tearoom in Big Sandy