Boys Ranch Pop.550 Alt. 3,176

General -

Cal Farley's Boys Ranch is a nationally known home for boys and girls who benefit from guidance, boys Ranchaffectionate discipline, and education in a ranch setting. Established in 1939 by the late Cal Farley, Texas businessman and world welterweight wrestling champion of the late 1920's.

The first boys who came to the ranch lived in the abandoned courthouse of Old Tascosa that is now the Julian Bivins Museum (see below). Founded and expanded by private donations, the ranch today covers 10,600 acres. Facilities include a chapel, clinic, schools, fine arts and auditorium, visitors center, and 23 homes for children.

More than 400 boys and girls help operate the ranch, attend school and vocational classes, and enjoy a year-round program of athletics.

A popular annual event is the Boys Ranch Rodeo, Labor Day weekend, featuring competition among youths of all ages.Although some 80 percent of the young people were heading for trouble before coming to the ranch, most remain and graduate from the fully accredited Boys Ranch High School, entering the adult world as useful, self-reliant citizens. Visitors are welcome at the ranch. Open daily 8a.m-5p.m.

Boot Hill Cemetery-

When Tascosa (below) was the wide open , riotous cowboy capital of the 1880's, gunfights were the traditional means for settling disputes, and it's cemetery was an essential part of the town. The boys maintain the cemetery today. U. S. 385.

Julian Bivins museum-

Housed in the former Oldham County Courthouse, name honors Panhandle rancher whose donation of land formed the nucleus of Boys Ranch. Artifacts from Indian and prehistoric Panhandle cultures, cowboy and pioneer items, photos and docunents about Boys Ranch history. Open daily year round, 10a.m.-5p.m.

Old Tascosa-

Pioneer settlers in the early 1870's built adobe huts and irrigation ditches along area creeks. After 1875, village became a supply and shipping point for several huge Texas ranches, including the famed XIT and LIT. Bustling town was known as "the Cowboy Capital of the Plains"; became county seat when Oldham County was organized in 1880. The famous and infamous-from Kit carson to Billy the Kid-once strode it's rough plank sidewalks. But as with many Texas cow towns, decline set in when the open range was girded with fences, and the railroad bypassed the site. it was deserted by the 1930's.



Back to the top