Selected as townsite and seat of Wise County in 1856 and first known
as Taylorsville. The famous Butterfield Overland Mail Route passed through the town
in the mid 1800's. Decatur was the site of the trial and hanging of five Peace Party
conspirators in 1862.
Wise County Court House-
Built in 1895 of pink limestone from Burnet, it has been pronounced
a perfect architectural example of its type and era; on the traditional town square.
Wise County Heritage Museum-
Housed in administration building of old Decatur Baptist
College which was built in 1892 for $20, 855. Exhibits include Indian artifacts, old
post office artifacts from the Chico community, art, mementos of early area history; also
archives and a small theater. Open Mon. & Tues. 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.; Wed., Thurs.,
Fri. 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.; Sat. & Sun. 1:30 - 5 p.m. 1602 South Trinity. Admission.