Bills itself as the 'Queen City of the
Rio Grande', the
former seat of Val Verde (green valley) County that
covers more than 3,000 square miles.
cattle ranching, extensive production of sheep, lambs,
wool, and mohair from Angora goats. Abundant hunting for
white-tailed deer, wild turkey, javelins, dove and quail.
Fishing, boating and water sports on Amistad Reservoir.
With some 400
archaeological sites, area is among nation's richest in
aboriginal cave paintings. See Amistad Recreation areas
below. Local transportation makes it easy to visit Mexico,
just across the border. Regularly scheduled crossings throughout
the day to Ciudad Acuņa, (see below), For complete visitor
details, maps, brochures and Mexico information, visit
the Del Rio Chamber of Commerce, 1915 Ave. F; open
Swimming beaches, marinas,
boat ramps, free campgrounds administered by National
Park Service on U.S. side of huge international Amistad
Reservoir. From Recreation Area headquarters on U.S. 90
at west edge of Del Rio, obtain information, maps,
brochures, and directions to
Panther Cave (boat access only), outstanding Indian
pictograph site. Headquarters. open Mon. - Fri. 8 a.m. -
City across from the Rio Grande
from Del Rio. Intriguing night spots, restaurants,
fascinating shops offering handmade silver, decorative
wrought iron, jewelry, woven goods, leather craft,
pottery and souvenirs. Lake-Amistad Reservoir.
Son Felipe Springs and
Lush oasis in semiarid setting,
springs were important watering stop on historic
Chihuahua Road that connected Texas port of Indianola
with Chihuahua City, Mexico. Springs flow some 90 million
gallons of clear pure water daily! San Felipe Country
Club golf course (semiprivate) surrounds springs, and
Moore Park provides a large swimming pool.
Val Verde Winery-
Family enterprise in its fourth
generation, founded in 1883 by Italian immigrants. Grapes
had been grown in the area since 1825, but other
varieties from Spain, America and Mexico were introduced.
Still operated by the family, the winery welcomes
visitors during regular business hours. Open Mon. - Sat.
9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Access via Pecan St. south,
visit downtown area of historic
buildings, churches and homes dating from the 1800s,
including the 1887 courthouse. Also ancient aceqtiia system
(irrigation canals) still in use. Walking tour brochure
from the chamber of commerce (see above, General).
Whitehead Memorial Museum-
Dedicated to the life and legends
of frontier Southwest, museum in rustic structure that
was early trading post serving both Texas and Mexico.
Plan at least two hours to roam through the 2 1/2 acres
and 11 exhibit sites. Judge Roy Bean and his son are
buried on the museum grounds.
Open Tues. - Sat. 9 a.m. - 4:30
p.m.; Sun. I - 5 p.m. 1308 S. Main St. For information,