EAGLE PASS Pop. 22,413 Alt. 797


First U.S. settlement at site on Rio Grande began during Mexican War with establishment of temporary Camp Eagle Pass. In 1849 permanent Fort Duncan was founded. Today an international gateway and tourist center, seat of Maverick County, and retail shipping center for 40,000-acre irrigated winter-garden region. International bridge to Piedras Negras, just across Rio Grande, connects U.S. 57 with Mexico 57 that leads to Monclova, Sattillo, San Luis Potosi and Mexico City. Portions of the route through scenic areas of Sierra Madres. Sportsmen enjoy fishing for the famous (and huge) Rio Grande catfish, hunting for white-tailed deer and upland game birds.

Eight miles south of city is 125-acre site being developed as federal reservation for Kickapoo Indians, a tribe that for years had special border-crossing permission.

Fort Duncan-

Established 1849 and occupied by three companies of 1st U.S. Infant Regiment. During Civil War, post was occupied by Confederate troops of Frontier Regiment. Federal troops reoccupied post 1868; it remained under military authority until 1916. Many restored stone buildings form center of municipal park and spacious country club.

Piedras Negras-

Mexican city across Rio Grande from Eagle Pass, population about 33,000. Handicraft items at bargain prices in many shops and traditional Mexican market area. Restaurants and popular night clubs; bullfights at intervals throughout summer months. (See MEXICO )



Back to the top