Fredericksburg was first Settled by
immigrant familieswho came from Germany in 1846, led by
John O. Meusebach. Although the original settlement was on
the Comanche frontier, The Meusebach-Comanche Treaty of
the following year established lasting peace. Many older
buildings retain traditional German styles; several units
comprise National Historic District. German is still
spoken occasionally, and old customs are regularly
observed: Easter Fires, Schuetzenfests (marksmanship
tournaments), Oktoberfest, Kristkindl Market, and
Kinderfest. Visitors attracted by scenic beauty, European
atmosphere, historic landmarks, excellent fall and winter
hunting, and famous bread and pastries. Birthplace of
Fleet Adm. Chester W. Nimitz, Commander in Chief of the
Pacific Fleet during World War II Climbers and hikers
enjoy Enchanted Rock
State Park near Fredericksburg.
Admiral Nimitz State
Consists of (1) the restored Nimitz
Steamboat Hotel, famous frontier hostelry, which houses
the Museum of the Pacific War; (2) Garden of Peace, gift
from the people of Japan; (3) History Walk, lined with
rare aircraft, tanks and guns, Fleet Admiral Nimitz was
born in Fredericksburg in 1885. At his request, center is
dedicated to all who served with him during W.W .II. Open
daily 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Admission; under 6 and over 65
Bauer Toy Museum
Toy soldiers, fire trucks, airplane
replicas, character and smaller toys recall bygone days.
Also included is a handcrafted village with toy
automobiles and trains and a 35-ft. long diorama
depicting Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol."
Open Wed. - Mon. 10 a.m. - 5 p.m., (winter hours may
vary). Donation, at 233 E. Main St.
Enchanted Rock State Natural
Massive dome of solid granite famed
in Indian legend; said to be site of human sacrifices,
some tribes feared to set foot on it, others used height
as rallying point; all held it in awe and reverence.
Indians believed ghost fires flickered on crest on
moonlit nights. A National Natural Landmark, the dome
about 640 acres; 500 feet high. Open year round. Hiking,
rock climbing and rappelling, picnicking, primitive
camping in designated areas (reservations accepted).
Eighteen miles north off R.M. 965. Admission.
An unknown pioneer mother more than
100 years ago told first Easter Fires story to quiet
fears of her children--a charming tale of Easter rabbit
who lit and tended hillside fires to boil traditional
eggs. In reality fires were those of Indians awaiting
outcome of peace talks with settlers; agreement was
reached and the two groups lived in peace in the
Pedernales Valley. The cherished tradition remains today;
hillside fires still glow each Easter eve while pageant
retells the story.
Pioneer Museum Complex
Operated by Gillespie County
Historical Society, complex centers on eight- room
furnished pioneer home and store, built 1849, wine cellar
and flagstone hof (yard); pioneer kitchens with open
hearths. Other structures include another home, barn,
smokehouse, Sunday house, and log cabin. Open daily
except Tues. Apr. through Oct. 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.; Sun. 1 -
5 p.m.; in winter, Sat. 10 a.m. - 5 p.m., Sun. 1 - 5 p.m.
309 W. Main St. Admission.
R.M. 965 north through geologic and
scenic beauty leads to Enchanted Rock.
U.S. 87 to R.M. 648 to community of
Doss. Texas 16 NW 13 mi., W on F.M. 1323 to Willow City.