Hillsboro is the principal trade
center and the seat of Hill County. City was established
in 1853. In the spirit of the old frontiers, the first
courthouse was a log cabin.
The City Chamber of commerce office
that is located at 115 N. Covington is the historic old
MK & T RR depot. Hillsboro is the center of a rich
agricultural region; it is also the gateway to Lake
Whitney;and is the home of Hill Junior College.
Known for many restored Victorian
homes. Driving tours available past renovated homes and
restored downtown area.
Confederate Research Center, Gun
Devoted to Civil War era,
especially concerning Hood's Texas Brigade, CSA. More
than 3,000 volumes, many rare, plus maps, photographs,
correspondence and dioramas. Also the Audie Murphy
Memorial Gun Museum & Weaponry Library. (Audie
Murphy, son of a Central Texas tenant farmer, was
nation's most decorated soldier in WW 11.) Museum
features historic firearms and edged weapons, historic
artifacts and historical art collection. Open Mon. - Fri.
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.; campus of Hill College.
Hill County Courthouse-
must! This 1890's structure
flamboyantly combines architectural accents of Classical Revival,
Italianate, and French Second Empire.
The old Saturday Evening Post called
it "a monstrosity." But Harper's described
it as "like an outstanding cathedral." For
years tourists have been coming to Hillsboro to see for
themselves. You be the judge...
Aquilla and Whitney.
Lake Whitney State Park-
Located about 16 miles southwest of
Hillsboro. (See Whitney,