The first settlers at the present townsite were John and
Augustus King, 1844, who received land through the Peter's colony, jointly owned by U.S.
and British businessmen. The colony was plagued by lawsuits and disputes, once
leading to a mob attack and burning of the land office. In 1855 the town got its
first mill, trading post, dry goods store, and the first cotton gin in Denton County.
The Dallas and Wichita Railroad arrived in 1881 and the city became a significant
trading post. Today's growth is stimulated by the expanding Dallas/Fort Worth
The closeness to Lake Lewisville provides residents with abundant
water activities. It's also home to the Texas Hydrofest boat race in the summer.