Established in 1892 as county seat of newly created Cottle County,
it was named for Paducah, KY, home town of the county surveyor and county attorney.
In 1893 the town consisted of two stores, a schoolhouse, and a saloon that doubled
as a church on Sundays. On Christmas Day, 1909, Quanah, Acme and Pacific RR reached
the site and town was incorporated the next year. Today it serves as a supply and
distribution point for the region's petroleum and agribusiness interests.
Housed in restored QA&P Railroad depot, it features farming and
ranching artifacts dating to previous century; a large collection of actual photographs
from the county's earliest days. Open Mon. - Fr, 1 - 5pm. On U.S. 83
Matador Wildlife Management Area-
28,00 acre area on Middle Pease and South Pease Rivers.
Hunting, by permit only, includes special archery season. Northwest of city
on F.M. 3256 off U.S 83.