In southeastern Patricio County on bluff overlooking Nueces and
Corpus Christi bays. Town was dream of John G. Willacy who effectively merged the
New England Land Co. of Portland, Maine, New England Real Estate Co, and Portland Harbor
and Improvement Co. of Wichita , Kansas into working unit and purchased 1,920 acres of
land from Coleman - Fulton Pasture Co. in 1891. Post Office authorized on March 9,
1891; incorporated in 1949. City forms almost perfect triangle with Portland, Maine
and Portland, Oregon.
Indian Point Park and Pier-
55 acre city park attracts both nature lovers and anglers. 720 - ft.
pier with 280 - ft. "T" - head over Corpus Christi Bay featuring some of the
best saltwater fishing grounds on the Coastal Bend. Two raised boardwalks extend
more than one thousand feet into wetlands; home to 36 bird species, 33 sea creatures, and
35 plant species, several listed as endangered. Wade fishing area, picnic area.
Concession building with restaurant, rest rooms, live bait and other fishing
necessities (512/643 - 5483). Admission to pier; no fee for use of park. Open
24 hours. On U.S. 181, northbound side. 512/643 - 6501.
More than 188 acres of city parkland with playing fields for soccer,
baseball, and softball, and tennis and volleyball courts.