Van Alstyne   Pop. 2,502    Alt. 632

General -

Large brick home reflects transitionsal stage in early part of this century frim Prairie Style to Spanish RevivalSettlers established rural homesteads in the 1840’s; town laid out by Scott McKinney in 1853. Named for railroad stockholder Mrs. Marie Van Alstyne, when town was made a stop on the line. Just off U.S. 75 between Dallas and Sherman.




Victorian Gabled CottageVan Alstyne Museum -

Features old horse-drawn buggy, c. 1880’s; historical material from families of the area; equipment used by early undertakers, old caskets, grave liners, and cooling boards. Located at 216 East Jefferson in downtown Van Alstyne. Hours vary.
House shown at left is a private residence.


Back to the top